Dedication of Mary Randolph Buchanan Christian Burleson City Historical Marker
The Elgin Historical Association is hosting a dedication ceremony for the recently received designation of the Mary Christian Burleson house as a City of Elgin Historical Landmark. The city of Elgin is situated on the Christian land grant and the Burleson land grant. Mary Christian Burleson was a strong pioneer woman who lived by herself with her seven children after the death of her two husbands. She fled in the Runaway Scrape, helped organize the second oldest Methodist Church in Texas (located in Bastrop), built the first log house at the site of present-day Elgin, lived through Indian attacks, obtained a charter for the Burleson Male and Female Academy in 1873 and most importantly granted a right–of-way to the Houston and Texas Central Railway route through their headright leagues and land for the townsite of Elgin.
We invite everyone to come and learn more about this frontier woman who is so important in the history of Elgin and Bastrop County. Guests are encouraged to wear “pink” to honor Mrs. Burleson as a True Texas Heroine. Refreshments will be served after the dedication.
- From 5/5/2012
- From 10:00 AM
- City Hall
- 310 N. Main St.
- Elgin, TX
- The Elgin Historical Association
- Contact - Donna Snowden
- Phone - (512) 217-7116