Welcome to Greater Elgin Chamber of Commerce
The city of Elgin, Texas was created by the Houston and Texas Central Railroad in 1872 and named for Robert Morris Elgin, the railroad's land commissioner, following the practice of naming new railroad towns after officers of the company.
The original plat placed the train depot in the center of a one-square mile area. The city of Elgin, Texas owes its existence to a major flood on the Colorado River in 1869. Originally, the railroad was to have run from McDade, ten miles east of Elgin, southwest to the Colorado River at a point somewhere between Bastrop and Webberville, then to Austin following the river.