Historic Sites

Elgin is a community rich in history. It has been designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as a National Main Street Community. It offers many award winning examples of historic preservation.

The H & TC Freight Depot built in 1872, is the oldest building in Elgin. Currently it is the home of the Greater Elgin Chamber of Commerce. The restoration of this building was a joint effort between the City of Elgin, Greater Elgin Chamber of Commerce, Elgin Main Street Board and the Southside Merchants Association along with many grant providers. The original passenger depot, Union Depot has recently been completely renovated by the City of Elgin. It now serves as a museum for the community. The Elgin Historical Association operates the museum. It is opened Tuesdays-Sundays from 2pm –5pm. The Nofsinger house built in 1906 houses the Elgin City Hall. Historic murals, banks, pharmacies, barber shops and elegant old homes are all part of the historical scene in Elgin.

Levelfield Website Designs